01 August 2005

The end to the Kermis

Well tonight was the last night for the Tilburg's Kermis (carnivale/fair), so we took the girls and used up the last of the tickets. But they had been asking for a while now to see 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. So we finally took them, and since I couldn't bare seeing Johnny Depp and then hearing dutch words come out of his mouth... I insisted we see it in english.
It was a very nice movie, very well made, the only thing that confuses me, is the change of theme. The original movie was about honesty. You had Slugworth bribing the kids to get the everlasting gobstopper and offering great deal of money. And so each child took their gobstoppers and went on through the factory. And Charlie and Granpa Joe had the fizzylifting drink, and that caused Wonka to get mad and tell him he had lost, cause now he would have to sterilize everything. So when Granpa Joe told Charlie they would sell the gobstopper to slugworth, cause Wonka was a mean old cheat, Charlie gave Wonka back his gobstopper and said he was sorry. That is what made Wonka change his mind and made Charlie the winner. The honesty to it all..
But in the new one, the theme has changed more to focus on family values. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad change, but its not something I was expecting and it kind of made the whole thing seem 'gag me with a spoon' sweet. Course in the first one, there wasn't much to go on with Wonka's background.... so I didn't know about the traumatized childhood. This is why I want to get the book, so that I can find out which one is truly closer.
Johnny was quite disturbing but quite convincing in his role, I think it takes a LOT of practice and discipline to be able to keep a straight face and do some of those lines.

But all in all, the kids had a good time, and life is good at this moment in time, if not a bit sleepy.

Rachel is sorting pictures for me for my eBay auctions, and I can't wait to get more listed! If it were not for Rachel, I wouldn't be able to support my glass habit. No extra goodies to make my beads into jewelry or gifts. Seen as I try to limit myself to spending the money from my sells on stuff to restock my jewelry stuff. I need to find someplace here in Tilburg where my jewelry will sell.

No comments: